Please click here to read our SEND policy in full:  HC SEND Policy

What is SEND? For children and young people of compulsory school age, they have a special educational need/learning difficulty or disability if they:

  1. Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  2. Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools
  3. Children with special educational needs or disabilities may need extra help or support, or special provision made for them to allow them to have the same opportunities as others of the same age.  If a child  has special educational needs or disabilities their needs will fall into one or more of the following four areas:

Communication and interaction

  • Speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
  • Autism

Cognition and learning

  • Specific learning difficulty (SpLD)
  • Moderate learning difficulty (MLD)
  • Severe learning difficulty (SLD)
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulty (PMLD)

Emotional, social and mental health

  • Attachment difficulties
  • Social and emotional difficulties
  • Mental health issues
  • Attention and hyperactivity difficulties

Physical and sensory

  • Visual impairment (VI)
  • Hearing impairment (HI)
  • Multi-sensory impairment (MSI/Deafblind)
  • Physical disability (PD)

Children whose needs fall into a mixture of these four categories are considered to have ‘complex needs’. A child may also be described as having ‘mild’ or ‘severe’ learning difficulties depending on the degree of their needs and the impact they have on their lives.

Statements of special educational needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments:

These are being replaced with a single education, health and care (EHC) plan: this will place much more emphasis on the child or young person’s personal goals and will describe the support a child will receive in order to achieve these. The plan will replace the need for multiple documents from different organisations. It will ensure that all the information about the child or young person is held in the same place so that all of the professionals involved in your child’s support are fully aware of all of their needs and aspirations, and plan together for how to meet them.  

All children and young people who currently have a statement of SEN will move across to the EHC plans over the next three years.  This will usually be at a time of transition for your child (for example when the child or young person changes school or goes to college), but as a parent/carer you can request an EHC Plan earlier if you wish.

Once your child has an EHC plan, you may choose to apply for a personal budget if you wish. A Personal Budget is designed to give you and your child more control over certain aspects of the support your child needs. A personal budget is a payment that is made to allow you to source and fund some of the services your child needs yourself.  The amount you may be given, and how it could be spent, is something that would be agreed with the council.  A Personal Budget is not compulsory, and parents are able to decide whether they wish to fund some of their child’s support in this way or not. 

What other help is available?

The Central Bedfordshire SEND Parent & Young Person Partnership Service  can offer further support to parents/carers and young people. To read about how they could help you, follow one of these links below, or telephone 0300 300 8088    

Email: parent.partnership@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk                                      Website: www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/parentpartnership

SEN support (School Action and School Action Plus) For children with less complex needs, School Action and School Action Plus (or Early Years Action and Early Years Action Plus in the early years) has been removed from the new SEND Code of Practice. 

All children and young people are entitled to good quality teaching, differentiated according to their needs. For children and young people in Central Bedfordshire for whom there is deemed to be an additional need, there will continue to be a graduated response and guidance for all education providers.  The new guidance will be called stage 1 and stage 2, with stage 3 being the trigger for a formal request for a statutory EHC Plan through the process of statutory assessment.   

The graduated response guidance is being drafted at the moment in the light of national guidance and is available athttp://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/localoffer  In the meantime, you can see the current guidance with regard to SA and SA+ at;

http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/Images/Guidance_on_SEN_tcm6-34405.pdf or for early years at http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/Images/SEN_Early_Years_tcm6-34407.pdf

Local Offer The ‘Local Offer’ provides information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their parents and carers in one place.  The Local Offer for Central Bedfordshire can be found at  http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/localoffer

Local Offer

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs? (SEN)

At Husborne Crawley Lower School children are identified as having SEN through a variety of ways including the following:-

  • Liaison with Pre-school or Nursery school or previous school
  • Child not achieving at the appropriate level for their ability
  • Concerns raised by Parent
  • Concerns raised by teacher, for example behaviour or self-esteem is affecting performance
  • Liaison with external agencies i.e. physical needs
  • Health diagnosis through paediatrician

How will I raise concerns if I need to?

  • Talk to us – firstly contact your child’s class teacher or SENCO (Mrs Davies) or the Head teacher Mrs Willans
  • We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents and aim to share information with you and we hope that you are able to do the same with us

How will school support my child? Who will oversee, plan, work with my child and how often?

• Our SENCO (Special Needs Co-Ordinator) Mrs Davies oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school.

• The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND) in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made.

• There may be an additional educating adult working with your child either individually or as part of a group, if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts.

Who will explain this to me?

• The class teacher will meet with parents at least on a termly basis (this could be as part of Parent’s evening) to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress.

• For further information the SENCO, Mrs Davies, is available to discuss support in more detail.

How are the Governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

• The Headteacher reports to the Governors every term to inform them about the progress of children with SEND; this report does not refer to individual children and absolute confidentiality is maintained at all times.

  • One of the Governors is responsible for Special Educational Needs (SEN) and meets regularly with the SENCO. They also report to the Governors to keep all informed.

• The Governors agree priorities for spending within the SEN budget with the overall aim that all children receive the support they need in order to make progress.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

• All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access according to their specific needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be three or more different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated.

• The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all children can access a lesson and learn at their level.

How will I know that my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

• We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCO and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.

• We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs.

• We can operate a home / school link book which your child will bring home regularly so that comments from parents and teacher can be shared and responded to when needed.

• If your child is on the SEN register they will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which will have individual or group targets. This is discussed on a termly basis and parents are given a copy of the IEP. The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) targets with the expectation that the child will achieve the target by the time it is reviewed.

• If your child has complex SEND they may be part of an IPA (Inclusion Partnership Agreement) or have a Statement of SEN, which means that a formal meeting will take place to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written.

How does the school know how well my child is doing?

• As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against National expectations and age-related expectations.

• The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry to Year 4, using a variety of different methods, both teacher assessment and tasks and some termly tests as the child grows older.

• Children who are not making expected progress are picked up through Review meetings with the Class teacher and Headteacher. In this meeting a discussion takes place concerning why individual children are experiencing difficulty and what further support can be given to aid their progression. If your child is discussed at one of these meetings then you as parents or carers will be informed.

• When the child’s IEP is reviewed, comments are made against each target to show what progress the child has made. If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure the child does make progress.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

• We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.

• The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher liaises with the SENCO for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Behaviour Support Team.

• The school also has a Nurture Support worker, Mrs Rebecca Byfield, who works under the direction of the SENCO, with vulnerable children during the school day.

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

• The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site. (See the policy on the school website)

• Parents need to contact Mrs Bloodworth in the school office if medication is recommended by Health Professionals to be taken during the school day.

• On a day to day basis the trained staff generally oversee the administration of any medicines.

• As a staff we have regular training and updates of conditions and medication affecting individual children so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

• As a school we have a positive approach to all types of behaviour with a clear reward system that is followed by all staff and pupils.

• If a child has behavioural difficulties an Individual Achievement Plan (IEP) is written alongside the child and parents to identify the specific issues, put relevant support in place and set targets.

• After any incident of unwanted behaviour we expect the child to reflect on their behaviour with an adult. This helps them to identify why the incident happened and what the child needs to do differently next time to change and improve their behaviour.

• Attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis. Lateness and absence are recorded and reported upon to the Headteacher. The Headteacher informs parents if a pattern emerges and offers support.

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

• We are a SEAL school where we value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually carried out through the School Council which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised.

• Children who have IEPs discuss their targets with their class teacher.

• There is an annual pupil questionnaire where we actively seek the viewpoints of children especially concerning being able to speak to an adult if they have a worry.

• There is also a suggestion box in classrooms for the children to share their views. This is regularly checked by the School Council and acted upon.

• If your child has a Statement of SEN their views will be sought before any review meetings.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

• Our SENCO is fully qualified and accredited.

• As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children’s needs within our school including: – Behaviour Intervention; Health including – GPs, school nurse, clinical psychologist, paediatricians, speech & language therapists; occupational therapists; social services including – Locality Teams, social workers and Educational Psychologists.

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are currently having?

• We have a member of staff trained in Nurture Support.

• A number of teachers and LSAs are ‘Team Teach’ trained to support children with behavioural difficulties.

• LSAs have had training in delivering reading and spelling / phonics programmes.

How will my children be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

• All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.

• A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

How accessible is the school environment?

• The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing. The school is mostly all on one level with ramps from the car park and at specified fire exits.

• Where necessary we would liaise with EMAS (Ethnic Minority Achievement Service) who assist us in supporting our families with English as an additional language.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school or transferring to a new school?

• We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting when they will meet their teacher and be shown around the school. For children with SEND we would encourage further visits to assist with the acclimatisation of the new surroundings.

• We write social stories with children if transition is potentially going to be difficult.

• When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to Middle school, we arrange additional visits. At our ‘feeder’ middle school, Fulbrook Middle, they run a programme specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable pupils.

• We liaise closely with staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.

• If your child has complex needs then a Statement review will be used as a transition meeting during which we will invite staff from both schools to attend.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

• We ensure that all children who have Special Educational Needs are met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available. This may include purchasing specific resources including books and ICT programs.

• We have a team of a qualified teacher and LSAs who are funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes designed to meet groups of children’s needs.

• The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

• The class teacher alongside the SENCO will discuss the child’s needs and what support would be appropriate.

• Different children will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve age-expected levels.

• This will be through on-going discussions with parents

How do we know if it has had an impact?

• By reviewing children’s targets on IEPs and ensuring they are being met

• The child is making progress academically against national/age expected levels and the gap is narrowing – they are catching up to their peers or expected age levels.

• Verbal feedback from the teacher, parent and pupil.

• Children may move off of the SEN register when they have ‘caught up’ or made sufficient progress.

Who can I contact for further information?

• First point of contact would be your child’s class teacher to share your concerns.

• You could also arrange to meet Mrs Davies, our SEN lead teacher.

• Look at the SEND policy on our website

• Contact Parent Partnership

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school?

• Contact the school office to arrange an appointment with the Headteacher Mrs Willans and our SENCO Mrs Davies, who will happily meet you and discuss how the school could meet your child’s needs.